What are the names of the most common palm trees? We will give information about the types of palm trees. Palm tree varieties are very popular, especially preferred in coastal areas. There are 3000 different varieties of the palm tree. Palm; It is a member of the palm family. The palm tree is a heat-loving tree. This tree, which loves plenty of water, can survive even if it is not watered. Palm elongates upwards. Also, palm trees should be pruned regularly. Curious palm tree types and their names;
What are the most beautiful palm trees?
- Areca Palm Tree: in southern Asia, eastern India, the Malaysian Archipelago, New Guinea, and Australia grows naturally. In the young period, the leaf colors are bright bright indoors. It is also grown for decorative purposes due to its green color and large size. Areca is a single-stemmed plant with a thin, long body and a height of 10-30 m. Body thickness is 5-12.5 cm in diameter. The crown formed by the leaves is small. Leaves develop upright. Leaf size can be 90 – 200 cm. Orange-red fruits their shells are covered with soft fibers. They are propagated from seed.
- Arecastrum palm tree: This species originates from South America. Its body is 20-30 cm in diameter. on the body form a crown of several leaves. In the lower parts of the trunk, the bottom parts of the petiole is found. The leaves are compound and can grow 2.7-4.5 m. Soft and bendable leaflets are 35-45 cm long. The width of the leaflets is 2.5 cm. This species is called the queen palm because of its decorativeness. This palm species Minimum temperature should be 18 0C. This type of plant can withstand short-term frosts. interior This species, which can be used as a plant, can be grown outdoors, provided that it is kept in suitable conditions in winter. It is also used when making arrangements.
- Caryota L. Palm Tree: 10-12 species in tropical Asia, Malaysia, Indonesia, New Guinea and tropical Australia exists.
- Caryota Mitis Palm: Its homeland is Indonesia. It is a slow growing species. Leaves on thick stem in dense clusters. Dark green leaflets forming compound leaf fish fin-like.
- Caryota Urens Palm Tree; It is a plant of tropical Asian origin. It can be 25-30 m tall. Leaves 6 m is long. The inflorescences are in dense groups. It is produced from seed. Germination temperature is 290C.
- Caryota Ochlandra Palm: Its leaves are lighter in color than other palm species. outdoors and indoors used. It likes moist and light environments. Shade negatively affects plant growth. Minimum temperature should be between 13-180 C.
- Chamaedorea Willd Palm: It is a species originating from Central and South America and Guatemala. plant stems thick to form. The number of trunks varies between 5-15. trunk up to 3 meters can be grown. The body is reed-like and the knuckles are prominent rings.
- Howea Forsteriana Bec.-Kentia Palm: Its homeland is the Lord Howe Islands in the east of Australia. It takes its name from this island. There are two types. These are H.forsteriana and H.belmoreana. Their length is 9-20 meters, and the trunk diameter is 20 cm. Trunk with traces of fallen leaves is wrapped around. The leaves forming the crown at the top are compound leaves. leaves plant grows larger as you get older. Male and female flowers are on the same plant but in separate places. of male flowers It has round sepals. Its fruits are 5 cm long and oval in shape. Color it is greenish yellow. The fruit contains seeds.
- Phoenix canariensis Palm Tree; Its homeland is the Canary Islands. Africa, Madagascar, Central Asia, India, Pakistan, It grows in an area as far as Thailand and the Philippines. This species is 9-20 m tall and has a body with a diameter of 60-150 cm. Leaf bottom on stem surrounded by parts. The aging leaves of the plant hang down. The flowers are on long, branched inflorescences that can grow to more than a meter in length. takes place. The fruit of the plant is brownish orange.
- Cycas Palm: Cycas is a highly prized single-cone tropical palm. most species are in sizes that can be used as a living room plant. Long-lasting in the appropriate environment and the growth rate is very slow. Cycas is used as a hall plant as well as in the production of a kind of flour. is used. However, when the unprocessed flour, leaves and succulent seeds are eaten in excess. it is toxic. Naturally grown in Southeast Asia, Southern China, Malaysia, Australia, Oceania, Japan, Africa and Madagascar.
- Chamaerops Tree: Its homeland is Italy, Spain, Sicily, Algeria and Morocco, which are Mediterranean countries. It is Europe’s only native palm species. Its height is between 2-2.5 meters. fan shaped leaves are on long stems. The stem is spiny and 12-15 pieces consists of parts. The flowers of the young plant are yellow and have frequent spikes. It likes sunny and open air. temperate climate plant It is very suitable for growing. It grows well in permeable soils. to dry periods rests comfortably. However, it requires frequent water after the first vegetation. Important cultivars are C. humilis, C.excelsa.
How is palm tree production made?
Palms are generally produced by seed and vegetative. Separation in vegetative reproduction method is used. The prerequisite for the production to be made by separation is the formation of offspring of the plant.
Palm tree production by seed: Single-stemmed and commercially produced palms that do not produce offspring are planted with seeds. is duplicated. Most palms produce seeds every year, while some species grow once after 40 years. It flowers and produces many seeds. Around 250000 seeds can create. Palm seeds should be taken from the plant after the fruits are fully ripe. seeds carefully removed from the fruit. Seeds should be dried in a dry and airy environment. Dried seeds should be stored in a suitable environment until planting. Timely planting of palm seeds positively affects the germination of the seed. The planting time of palm seeds is generally in the spring and summer months. of all seeds germination temperature is above 20 0C. The best germination is at a temperature of 30-35 0C. is happening.
When preparing pots for fast-growing palms, two parts peat and one part pine bark, a mixture obtained from a part of sand can be used.
For slow-growing species, two parts peat, two parts bark and two parts sand mix is appropriate. The sand is permeable and does not deteriorate for a long time. It is a suitable material for cultivation.